I've never used dataset aliases. (Well, I'm sure I have; it would probably
be more correct to say "I have never been involved with the administration
of dataset aliases.")

I have a situation where I am going to have several sets of datasets; one
set each for "situation" A, one for B, one for C, and so forth. So I might
have

HLQ.FOO.A
HLQ.FOO.B
HLQ.FOO.C
etc.

HLQ.BAR.A
etc.

In many cases these will be PDSes with multiple members. For *some* of these
sets, the A, B and C PDSes will be the same. I only need the A, B, and C to
make the big picture scheme work.

These are for my own use, basically -- this is not for an entire datacenter.

Question: Does the use of aliases make sense? Let's say HLQ.BAR is identical
across A, B and C. Should I make one HLQ.BAR.COMMON and alias it as .A, .B
and .C? Or is that overkill for a simple one-person situation? Should I just
make three identical PDSes and not over-complicate the problem?

Disk space is not the issue -- these are relatively small datasets. I guess
it just bothers my engineering desire for elegance to have three identical
datasets when I could have three pointers to one dataset. I guess "not
mucking up the maintenance" -- changing one and failing to change the others
-- is also a possible concern.

Charles