cp looks promising -- once I got past the old quadruple quotes problem.
(Have to use SET symbols to get the whole thing into PARM=. Have to double
quote the DSN because it's in a SET operand. Have to double them up again so
they get into PARM= correctly. Sheesh!)

No errors, zero return code, but it only created the folder corresponding to
the PDS, not the contents of the PDS.

Let's see if I can do this

// SET &Q=''''
// SET P0='sh cp "//''''LEGACY.SMPE.INSTJCL''''" '
// SET P4='/u/userid/smpe/SCZA551'
//*
//CP       EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH,
// PARM=&Q.&P0.&P4.&Q
//STDIN    DD   DUMMY
//STDOUT   DD   SYSOUT=*
//STDERR   DD   SYSOUT=*

LEGACY.SMPE.INSTJCL has 9 members. I ended up with
/u/userid/smpe/SCZA551/INSTJCL but it's empty. What do I have to do
differently?

I think I'm close!

Charles