In <20141221173446.fd8ed08264703ad3452c5...@gmx.net>, on 12/21/2014
   at 05:34 PM, ibmmain <nitz-...@gmx.net> said:

>Nice summary, Peter. Do you happen to know who puts in //STARTING JOB
>... when MEMBER is only contained in the JES2 proclib concatenation
>and not in MSTJCL?

Presumably IEEVSTAR for START, but the processing is similar for,
e.g., LOGON, MOUNT.

>I have a MEMBER that starts with a JOB statement in a proclib. As
>long as that proclib is in both MSTJCL and JES2 proclib concat, all
>is well.

So it works when you follow the rules.

>As soon as I remove the proclib containing MEMBER from MSTJCL, I get
>a //STARTING JOB ... in my JCL and of course a JCL error because my
>JCL already contains a JOB statement.

And it doesn't work when you don't follow the rules.

>I am assuming that it is JES2 that puts these extraneous two lines
>in.

No. The lines that *you* added were extraneous; a JES2 or JES3 proclib
concatenation is supposed to contain cataloged procedures, not jobs.

>I didn't even find the place where this behaviour is described.

What do the JE2 and JES3 initialization manusls say about proclib
concatenations?