I was wondering if anyone has developed reports to relate the storage
(physical vs. virtual) on a VMAX 40K with what was actually being used on
the Mainframe.  SAS, Excel are preferred.

Due to the thin provisioning on the VMAX 40K I am finding it difficult to
graph what was ordered vs. what the VMAX 40K says is being used.  Then
relate that to the storage I see on the Mainframe side.

For example, say I have 100TB of storage on the VMAX 40K.  I then create
TDATs, Thin pools, etc.  with all of my DASD volume types.
I use ICKDSF to create the volumes and place them in various SMS pool or
setup NON SMS volumes.

The dasd is then started to be allocated.

On Unisphere, I show close to 100% Physical Storage used, however, the
Virtual pool says 45% used, which  would leave 55% available on the VMAX
40K.

I then go to z/OS and see that most of my volumes have been defined and
placed where they are needed but not completely used.  For example, I have
created a MOD54 and put it into use.  However, the users have not created
enough datasets on that volume to fill it up.  My understanding is that the
VMAX will not include that unused storage in the reports until it is used on
that Mod54.

I also have a set with a unique name that indicates they are Spare volumes
that could be clipped and placed where needed.  Those volumes total 5TB.

I am asked by my management if I need more storage.

So depending on the projects coming up I have 5TB of spare volumes that
could be used.  But once those are used, I would need more storage.  My
manager sees from Unisphere I have 55TB free from the virtual pool
allocation and wonders why I need more.

Is there a method or process I can use that will show that even though we
have carved all the volume types fully on the VMAX 40K, because of thin
provisioning it is not all being used.  At least not until every byte of
every volume is allocated with data sets.

Do I really need to look at it from the z/OS perspective and not the VMAX
40K side?
What is the recommendation when it comes to capacity planning for a VMAX 40K
in z/OS environments?
Any way to correlate the two worlds?
Due to the way open systems typically over provisions in the environment on
the VMAX 40K, it is difficult to know how to explain this with "management
speak" when it comes to z/OS.

Thanks

Lizette