On 01/03/2015 09:23 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 10:13:21 -0600, Ed Gould wrote:
>>
>> Indeed it was at least interesting.
>> I would be curious if IBM would like to comment on some of the
>> statements on how how RACF "encrypts" the passwords.
>> I disagree with how RACF encryption is done (at least by the
>> commentator)but I am not RACF trained so I can not call the
>> commentator out.
>> IBM?
>>
>> On Jan 2, 2015, at 3:31 PM, Mark Regan wrote:
>>>
>>> Black Hat 2013 - Mainframes: The Past Will Come to Haunt You, by a
>>> Philip Young and it's about an hour long.
>>>
>>> http://youtu.be/uL65zWrofvk
>>>
> It has been mentioned here and not refuted that RACF uses single-DES
> with the password as key and the user ID as salt.
>
> I had not heard (and do not fully believe) that the hashed password data
> set is generally readable (UACC=READ?).
>
> I had not heard, but it's quite plausible, that passphrases, however long,
>  are collapsed to 56 bits becase DES supports no greater.
>
> And Phillip Young stressed the weakness of the potential for user ID
> enumeration -- TSO LOGON tells you immediately whether a string
> is a known user ID -- he calls it much "too friendly".  But z/OS
> partisans here have advocated that excess friendliness as a boon.
> It reduces the search space from MxN to M+N, regarded contemptuously
> by non-mainframers.
>
> -- gil
>

>From the full title of the report, perhaps Young is referring to MVS
installations that have been in existence for over 30 years that have
somehow managed to ignore all the security advice of the last several
decades and have continued in unsafe configurations.  Perhaps some such
installations do exist.

The password mangling Young describes sounds like the old pre-DES
password encoding (not an encryption).  It wasn't even recommended by
1985 when we migrated to MVS/XA. If the old encoding is still supported,
it should be way past time to discontinue that support.  But, the
password encoding in the RACF data base only becomes a security issue if
READ access to the RACF data base itself is not properly restricted by
RACF.  Without READ access to the RACF database, one is reduced to
making actual logon/authentication attempts, which may serve as a denial
of service attack when a userid is revoked after a relatively-low,
installation-specified number of failures, but would be of marginal use
in finding a functional userid/password combination by trial and error
and attract  attention from a user whose userid gets revoked.  And, SMF
RACF logging data shows what LU or IP address is responsible for invalid
authentication attempts -- we audited logon failures and all revoked
userids daily.

MVS can certainly be made insecure, but the basic security concepts are
not that complex to understand"  Require all users of the system to
authenticate.  By default, protect all DASD and tape data sets, and have
rational data set naming standards that make default identification of
ownership and access rights feasible. Protect all system data-sets,
system configuration data, PROCLIB sources for started task JCL, and any
installation "Authorized" libraries from UPDATE by all but Technical
Support staff entrusted with maintenance of the system. Disallow even
READ access to sensitive data sets (like RACF databases).  Restrict
physical access to corporate network and MVS consoles, and use RACF to
restrict usage of sensitive commands, resources and applications.  RACF
Security Administrators and their Technical Support counterparts must be
properly trained, which includes knowing what authorization requests
from managers are unreasonable and must be denied to preserve system
integrity -- and being slightly paranoid about protecting their own
authentication credentials helps.

3270 communication protocols were designed with secure corporate
networks in mind, and as Young points out that means logon passwords
transmit in clear text even though visually hidden.  Any remote access
to MVS over non-corporate, unsecured networks MUST be encrypted, via use
of a VPN or some other technique, and standards should also be in place
to protect remote user's equipment from password-trapping malware.

Users should only be authorized to the functional access on MVS required
by their job.  Need to access a transactional system (e.g., CICS), does
not imply a need for access to TSO, or OMVS/UNIX, or FTP, or batch job
submission;  access to FTP does not imply a need for FILETYPE=JES job
submission and retrieval (and it is not that difficult to design an FTP
exit that uses RACF to selectively allow/disallow JES access via FTP to
specific users).  I was also mildly amused by the idea of someone using
FTP FILETYPE=JES to submit a surreptitious interactive "listener" job.
In our shop, batch initiators that were not restricted to production use
were a closely watched commodity, and nothing would have attracted the
attention of Operators, Tech Services, or other users quicker than a job
that appeared to be "hung" using few resources, and holding up the
processing of other jobs in classes served by that initiator --
especially if the job violated installation standards by attempting to
suppress its JES message log to hide what it was doing.

By properly compartmentalizing a user's MVS authorities based on their
corporate role, the potential harm of a single compromised set of user
credentials is minimized.  By properly protecting the RACF database, it
would be highly unlikely that attempts to compromise multiple userids on
MVS would not attract attention.  I would think the biggest exposure
would be legitimate MVS users deliberately using their same
authentication credentials on less secure corporate platforms that might
be more easily compromised; but one could hope that the more
sophisticated MVS users, the ones with the real power to compromise the
MVS system itself, would be the ones most likely to recognize that risk
and avoid such practices.

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org