Tom Marchant wrote:

>Can I get z/OS messages to be issued in Unicode?

And having Bookmanager bookies written in all those codepages?

>I could probably ask many more questions like these.
>Unless the answer to all of these is "yes", your "absolutely no requirement to
>use" is false.

True.

Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>I'm waiting for Timothy's answer and apologia.

Or try test TRT for packed / unpacked values. Just remember ASCII numbers
(packed) are in hex x'30 - x'3F' and EBCDIC are in x'F0' - x'F9'.

>And even there I see biases in string constants coded in programs.
>HLASM has EBCDIC self-defining terms, but not ASCII self-defining terms.

So I see it too after RTFM. Good catch.

>IEBGENER can probably deal with Unicode data set content, but not Unicode data
>set names.

or try: OCOPY '/SYSTEM/tmp/blahblah.txt'   HLQ.DSN.NAME

where you specify your folders/filename in Unicode.

I will not go on, especially if you add FTP (transfers *with* translation from
codepages) in this fray...

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht