From: Govind Chettiar <rasha...@gmail.com>
To: IBM-MAIN <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Sent: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:35
Subject: Re: COBOL Programmers In Demand?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:37:01 -0500, Aled Hughes <aledlhug...@aol.com> wrote:

>According to the UK's Daily Mail, COBOL programmers are commanding 'big money'
especially some of the retired ones. I suspect some of the so-called salaries
are contractor rated. £50,000 (about US $76K) works out at less than £200 a
day.
The actual going rate seems to be about £400 a day absolute maximum, but this
is
about what was being offered over 20 years back.

As usual, I suspect that the article has been written by a person who cannot
even spell 'mainframe'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-2863570/Out-retirement-experts-programming-1950s.html

According to the TIOBE report on the popularity of programming languages COBOL
has moved up from 26 to 13th place in the last year, almost a 1% increase in
popularity.  Popularity is measured in terms of internet searches, not
necessarily reflective of an increased demand, but I still find it intriguing.
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html