I have a C++ program in which I am trying to allocate an unreasonably-large
character array with new[]. I know it's unreasonably large - I'm a developer
testing something. It's 6.3MB -- not ridiculous, but in excess of the memory
available (apparently).

It appears to me that new is simply returning a NULL pointer, with no error
indication. That seems inconsistent with the C++ manual which says "If you
do not specify your own set_new_handler() function, new throws an exception
of type std::bad_alloc." I have an exception handler that is known to work
generally and it is not getting called. I do not call set_new_handler().

Am I missing something? Do others know that new generally fails as
documented?

z/OS V1R13. POSIX(ON).

Charles