Language Environment provides a callable service  - CEEGTJS - for LE
enabled programs

CEEGTJS retrieves and returns to the caller the symbol value and length of
the requested exported JCL symbol.
see z/OS Language Environment Programming Reference SA38-0683-00
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ceea200/ceea200240.htm

Sharuff
Sharuff Morsa
IBM Hursley Labs

> Date:    Tue, 30 Dec 2014 08:26:36 -0800
> From:    Donald Russell <russell....@gmail.com>
> Subject: zOS 2.1 JCL Symbol Services
>
> I wrote a small assembler program to try the JCL Symbol Services macro
> (IEFSJSYM) but am not having any success at getting any symbol values
> returned to my program.
> R15 is zero after the macro, and the eye-catcher is correct in the
output
> area, but sydEntryCount is always zero.
>
> I have a very simple test case with
> // EXPORT SYMLIST=*
> //    SET VAR1=200
> //    SET VAR='Hello World'
> // EXEC ASMACLG,...
>

> larl  r2,symbolList
> la    r3,symbolArea
> la    r4,diagData
> iefsjsym request=getbyname,diagdata=(r4),                     +
>       symlistarray=(r2),numentries==y(symbolList#),           +
>       symbarea=(r3),symbarealen==a(l'symbolArea),             +
>       mf=(e,iefsjsym_l,complete)
>
> I use GETBYNAME, but have not tried the GETALL.I also tried wildcard
names
> in my symbol list.
>
> If I can get GETBYNAME working the way I want, I plan to use that to
pass
> run-time options to the program instead of parsing a PARM=/PARMDD
string.

> Thanks for any suggestions...
>
> Donald Russell
>
> ​​