Difficult to imagine a claim of copyright via adverse possession.

> >Under current US copyright law and the Berne Convention, copyright inures to
> >the author of a creative
> work upon the moment s/he "fixes the work in a tangible medium" (including,
> by statute, computer
> memory). So if you think up a story and recite it for your friends you do not
> own a copyright, but as
> soon as you write the story down or key it into your computer you do, notice
> or no.
> >
> Are the airwaves a "tangible medium"?

I'm inclined to think not, vis. The storyteller speaking a story does not own
copyright until he commits the story to a "tangible medium".  For this
consideration I'd expect the electromagnetic waves of a broadcast to be similar
to the sound waves of a speech.

>  (I assume tape and disk are).  If a performer broadcasts a
> performance, never having recorded it, may I record it off the air without
> violating copyright?

Who would know?  Now, if you later attempt to enrich yourself by selling copies
of such a recording, you might encounter resistance.

    -jc-
[ snip ]

Information contained in this e-mail message and in any attachments thereto is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems, notify the sender immediately,
and refrain from using or disclosing all or any part of its content to any
other person.