Caveat:  insert the daily delay for listServ digestion here...  Small v1.12
monoplex shop.

Our (my) mandate is that unless there's a good/valid reason/justification, any
given dataset should be SMS managed. [1]  As such, my CDSs are non-managed [2]
since I inherited them that way and see no reason/benefit to change;  being all
of 5 cylinders each.  All my uCats are managed and directed to a restricted
access pool along with (non-z/OS) LinkList, procLibs, and zUnix root(s).  DB2
uCats are pooled with the table/index spaces strictly for FlashCopy
consistency. [3]  z/OS volumes are non-managed because the guy in charge won't
consider SMS at all.  He manages those volumes himself and the StorClas ACS
routine has specific code to avoid them. [1]  The mCat(s) are on those volumes
as well.

Follow-up tips:
1)      I have multiple ACDS on different volumes; 3 of which include FAILOVR
in their name.  As part of the process to harden/finalize a new configuration,
I issue SETSMS SAVEACDS(ACDS.FAILOVR#) for each.  It allows me to endure 3
volume failures [4] before I need to panic;  using SETSMS ACDS(ACDS.FAILOVR#).
I have the same for the CommDS.
2)      One housekeeping item to consider is moving APF-only ie. not LinkList
as well, datasets to SMS managed.  Then, the ParmLib APF entries use the volume
*SMS* and they can be moved around if/as desired ie. HSM interval processing,
FDRMove.

[1]  My ACS routine(s) auto-assign class values unless specifically directed
not to ie.  StorClas=[nonSMS | None], volSer=nonSMS, HLQ=nonSMS, etc.
[2]  I am prepared for the eventuality by including them in the DataSet
Separation profile.
[3]  We had catalogue consistency problems with DR when the uCats were in a
different pool and backed up at a different time of day.  That led to moving
them into the same storage pool.
[4]  Although Rad will point out that 'volumes' are strictly a logical
construct not actually reflected in the physical storage medium.  *grin*

-------->  signature = 6 lines follows  <--------
Neil Duffee, Joe Sysprog, uOttawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                  fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uOttawa.ca/ ~nduffee
“How *do* you plan for something like that?”  Guardian Bob, Reboot
“For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.”
“Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent”  John Norgauer 2004