On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:42:16 -0600, Tony's Outlook via Mozilla wrote:

>I'd certainly prefer zOS/batch/DFSORT.  Unload the table to FB disk, use
>DF/SORT to insert x'05'(tab) or comma(CSV) where desired.  I do this
>quite often to create a flat file that will eventually go back to MS
>excel/access.  Millions of records?  No big deal.

And suppose your data contain commas in some column, in some rows
but not all?  E.g. "Babonas, T."  Well, the designers should have split
those fields into separate columns, but sometimes they don't.  Choose
a different separator?  If you don't know a priori which character meets
that requirement you must do a preliminary scan to find one.  And if
you find none you must establish a convention for escaping metacharacters.
I suppose DFSORT can do all this.  (Hmmm...  Has anyone proven that
DFSORT is Turing-complete?  Or that it isn't?)

Faced routinely with such a problem given a .xlsx file, I open it with
LibreOffice and export as HTML, which guarantees that its delimiter
tokens don't appear among the output data.

Bernd probably has an effective solution.  LibreOffice doesn't batch
at all well.

-- gil