On 15Mar29:1638-0400, David L. Craig wrote:

> On 15Mar29:1453-0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>
> > I still haven't seen a plausible answer; not even a guess.
> > The only one tendered, "OS/MVT/ASP" strikes me as absolutely
> > incredible.
>
> Sheesh.  I've sent an email to one of the primary sysprogs--
> hopefully he'll speak definitively on this matter.

This very mailing list's archives provide some clues.

and from http://ibm-main.listserv.bit.groups.com.ru/5716-model_91

> Subject       model 91
> From  smit...@us.ibm.com William Smith
> Date  3 Oct 2003 20:05:34 -0700
> Newsgroups    bit.listserv.ibm-main
>

> The 360/95... Not to be confused with the 195.  There were only two 95s
> built:  One was located at Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt,
> MD, Bldg. 3/14, and the other was located at the Goddard Institute for
> Space Studies in New York.  Sitting next to it were 2 75's and a 30.
> Across the street in Bldg. 1 was another 75 and a real 91.  The two lead 95
> systems programmers were Gene Czarcinski and Frank Pajerski, the creator of
> the now famous "Goddard Goddies Tape", who also managed a 65 in Bldg. 14
> running the SVS HASP4 retrofit with a 370 instruction simulator.
>
> The GSFC 95 had 2 drums, 1 data cell, 5 1403 line printers, 2 strings of
> 2314 "pizza oven" style DASD, 2 2540 card reader punches, 16 2400 tape
> drives, ran CRJE, CRBE, APL/360, ALGOL, SNOBOL, TCAM 5, a highly modified
> version of Fortran H (maintained under contract by Boole & Babbage and
> CSC), TSO with a whopping max of 60 TSO users in 3 REGIONS, used the now
> famous "LSPS" mods including APG on MVT 21.8F with ASP.  It had 5 megs of
> real CORE memory and no commercial instruction set.  It's misson was backup
> to Houston and satellite apogee/perigee determination.  I was 19 years old,
> my first summer college job, and I mounted tapes and pulled print outs off
> of it in 1972.
>
> Finally, got my hands on the master console in 1973, the light pen, and the
> "pedal" to DOM requests.  No ITF BASIC.  COBOL decimal arithmetic (software
> simulated, a SYSGEN option) brought it to its knees.  This was one
> awesomely incredible machine:  pipe line processing, imprecise interrupts
> and could grind away on Laplace transforms, differential equations, and
> sparse matrices faster than anything at the time.  It was truly a visionary
> engineering marvel.  Mean time to re-IPL:  about 4 hours.  I sure wish I
> had the sign mounted across the huge 200+ light panel that read "IBM System
> 360".  I was 22 year old operator during Apollo Soyuz in July, '75.  And...
> splash down party beer was kept cold under the raised floor.
>
> Rose colored glasses..... and dating myself.
>
> William J. Smith
> smit...@us.ibm.com (Lotus Notes)
> sfo...@sbcglobal.net (Home ISP)
> IBM Systems Group San Jose
> DFSMS Integration & Packaging Technical Lead
> "Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."
> (408) 256-1557, T/L 276-1557

I was confused between the 95s and the 91, it is clear.
The 91 was in Building 1, and I didn't have much to do
with those guys.  I did not see its OS mentioned in my
less than exhaustive reading of all the posts.

Schmuel and Lynn were participants in those threads--
are any neurons being triggered by rereading this stuff?
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________