On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Paul Gilmartin
<0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:11:32 -0500, John McKown wrote:
>>
>>$(echo export BUBBA=bubba) # run the stdout of the enclosed command as
>>commands in the parent shell.
>>
> In most cases, I'd be more comfortable with:
>
>     export BUBBA=$(echo bubba)  # limit the scope of the damage.

That is safer. But it is restricted to only setting one environment
variable. My example was the smallest, simplest that I could come up
with quickly. If I wanted to set multiple environment variables, I'd
"protect" myself a bit with something like:

$(somecommand ... | egrep '^export +(VAR1|VAR2|VAR3)=')

This would ensure that regardless of what "somecommand" wrote to
stdout, I'd just do export commands for the environment variables that
I was interested in. It is a _little bit_ safer. After setting them, I
might want to validate them as well, somehow.

> Note the serialization concerns.  In neither case is the set value available
> to concurrent processes.

<snip>

--
If you sent twitter messages while exploring, are you on a textpedition?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown