On 04/09/2015 10:44 AM, Aled Hughes wrote:
Seymour J Metz said,

"How do I know that yopu exist?" (sic)

I felt I had to reply to this. Contrary to your somewhat puerile comment
Seymour, Timothy DOES exist. I have had some excellent advice from him over the
years which didn't necessarily involve purchasing more IBM H/W and/or S/W.

I would also venture that Timothy knows much more about the ''real" world of
mainframe computing today than you do. (Even your web link doesn't work!)

My apologies to Darren for this rant. Sometimes, Seymour does make idiotic
comments.

Cheers!

ALH

<SNIPPAGE>

I concur with your viewpoint relative to Seymour's attitudes. But I happen to agree with where Seymour was going.

You see, where I work, we have recently been bitten by projects that had to be done. But someone apparently forgot to test it.

So, our 4 hour rolling window charges ... Oh well. Plus having to bring more processors on line (thankfully we have a "CPU on Demand" situation and had CPs available.)

Then on the Linux size (under zVM) we had something similar happen there.

Rapid development I can understand. But one still needs to do testing.

I remember a bank where it was said, their ain't no test like production. Having to declare a banking holiday causes a lot of problems.

Testing that something works, when all the inputs are correct is a little short of what is needed. What about a load test, where you run as many of the transactions as you can under CICS and see what falls out?

What about testing the failure modes to see what is going happen?

Not doing this before putting it into production can take down your CICS cash box. It can even cause corrupted data and problems with customers.

Now to what Timothy said: Yes, all of that is true. But you still have to take into consideration that bad logic will cause a major outage and you have a responsibility to do a certain amount of testing before putting the production environment at risk. And that puts the corporation at risk.

Regards,
Steve Thompson