Realizing this does not solve the OP's immediate problem, for the
benefit of any others with similar exposure:
If you have important, possibly even critical data on DFHSM ML2 or
BACKUP tapes, then not making use of DFHSM DUPLEX capability is false
economy that you will eventually come to regret.  If you are indeed
fortunate, you will realize this before you lose anything you can't live
without, but avoiding even one disastrous loss can justify the extra
tapes and resources required to write DUPLEX copies when writing ML2 and
BACKUP tapes.

If you are talking physical tapes and physical tape drives, then
occasional physical damage to media through repeated usage, mishandling
of media or drive failures does indeed occur, and loss of a single DFHSM
tape may affect thousands of data sets some of which could be very
important.

Even if you are talking virtual tape volumes and your VTS duplexes the
data for the virtual volumes, this doesn't automatically eliminate a
need for DFHSM duplexing.  If an Operator can erroneously scratch a
DFHSM virtual tape volume, there is probably at best a limited window in
which the volume can be unscratched without data loss.   If that window
is too small and you don't find there is a problem before that window
has been passed, then again your only salvation may be a DFHSM DUPLEX
tape copy.
        J C Ewing

Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org