There was a DF/SORT related post sometime in the not so distant past that gave an example of how to read a VB file and determine all the differing record lengths. Without thinking about it much reading all the RDW fields should not be that difficult.

On 6/7/2015 11:21 AM, Lizette Koehler wrote:
I am sure the DFSORT team will respond on Monday in the USA.

Or you could send your query to them, there might be someone watching their
helpline

dfs...@us.ibm.com

Those folks are very helpful.

Also, the DFSORT Website on
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T7000079

Also, you could probably do this in REXX.  There are many ways to do this
function.

Lizette

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Minoru Massaki
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2015 8:57 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: DFSORT - How to select last 8 bytes in variable length records

Hello Gilmartin-san,

Thank you for your idea.

At this point, they (the customer) want to use only DFSORT without E15/E35.
I'll tell them your ideas.

Minoru Massaki - (M*M)

0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>:

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 22:28:01 +0900, Minoru Massaki wrote:

Hello

There is a input file of variable length records.
I want to insert the last 8 bytes of a record to front of the record
as following sample. ...

Must it be DFSORT?  For example:

508 $ cat last8; sh last8
#! /bin/sh -x

echo "\
RECORD01X11AAAAAAAA
RECORD02Y2BBBBBBBB
RECORD03ZCCCCCCC
RECORD044A4444444DDDDDDDD
RECORD0555B55555555EEEEEEEE"  |

AAAAAAAA RECORD01X11
BBBBBBBB RECORD02Y2
ZCCCCCCC RECORD03
DDDDDDDD RECORD044A4444444
EEEEEEEE RECORD0555B55555555
509 $

Is it then possible to pipe the output of "sed" into SORTIN?

-- gil\