Bill,

That is my preference too and also with that approach it truncates any
trailing spaces on the first line and concatenates the content from second
line as if it is a single line. But when you code continuation character
the trailing blanks are left as is.

Thanks,
Kolusu

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> wrote on
07/16/2015 08:18:56 AM:

> From: Bill Ashton <bill00ash...@gmail.com>
> To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
> Date: 07/16/2015 08:19 AM
> Subject: Re: Not understanding COBOL diagnostic
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
>
> I find that it is much easier to break the text into multiple,
> quote-delimited lines, and not bother with the continuation stuff. For
> example the lines above in my world would be as you have them, but
without
> the dash in Col 7. It makes it much easier to work with...
>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Sri h Kolusu <skol...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> > Charles,
> >
> > Remove the closing single quote on the DISPLAY statement line and you
> > won't see that message.
> >
> > Here are the rules
> >
> > If you want to continue a literal such that the continued lines and
the
> > continuation lines are part of one literal:
> > Code a hyphen in the indicator area of each continuation line.
> > Code the literal value using all columns of each continued line, up to
and
> > including column 72. (Do not terminate the continued lines with a
single
> > quotation mark followed by a space.)
> > Code a quotation mark before the first character of the literal on
each
> > continuation line.
> > Terminate the last continuation line with a single quotation mark
followed
> > by a space.
> >

> > http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS6SG3_4.2.0/
> com.ibm.entcobol.doc_4.2/PGandLR/ref/rlfmtcon.htm?lang=en
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kolusu
> >
> > IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> wrote on
> > 07/16/2015 08:03:52 AM:
> >
> > > From: Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
> > > To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
> > > Date: 07/16/2015 08:06 AM
> > > Subject: Re: Not understanding COBOL diagnostic
> > > Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

> > >          DISPLAY '   YOU HAVE ACTIVATED STATISTICS WITH EXPLAIN'
> > >  -               ' BUT HAVE NOT CREATED THE PLAN_TABLE.'
> > >          DISPLAY '   EXPLAIN HAS BEEN DEACTIVATED TO ALLOW THE'
> > >  -               ' PROGRAM TO RUN TO COMPLETION.'
> > >          DISPLAY '   PLEASE CREATE THE PLAN_TABLE AND RESUBMIT'
> > >  -               ' THE PROGRAM FOR EXPLAIN INFORMATION.'
> > >
> > > Charles

IBM-MAIN