On 2015-08-11 14:13, Dana Mitchell wrote:
> I wrote a rexx once years ago to format and display a sequential file
> respecting carriage controls.  At the time it was to make the memo to users
> from a CBPDO a little more readable.   But as much as that document used '+'
> to suppress spacing for bold and underlining, I couldn't make get it to come
> out looking ok since obviously you can't simulate overstrike on a display.

The IBM 3800 printer had the capability to overstrike only with
the underscore character.  And, IIRC, ironically the underscores
must appear on the *last* line printed.  So, if one simply renders
"+" carriage control as CR without LF one sees only the underscores.
Not the best design.

It depends on the display.  If you use overstriking with identical
text for highlighting, you could shift to high intensity text on
some displays.

And I have a filter which converts FORTRAN/COBOL carriage control
to a PostScript file.  When I view its output with GNU Ghostview,
the overstrikes appear, even as on an impact printer.  It depends
on your display; it's not obvious.

-- gil