From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Scott Ballentine
Sent: woensdag 26 augustus 2015 6:13
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: vary <dev>,console with an IEF238D outstanding.

> While there is an IEF238D outstanding, in our case because some DD specified
> a nonexistent volser, "vary <dev>,console" gives us IEE799D.
>
> <quote>
> IEE799D VARY CONSOLE DELAYED - REPLY RETRY OR CANCEL.
>
> A VARY CONSOLE command requested that a console be placed online or offline.
> The system could not process the command due to other processing in
> the system such as:
> - Another VARY CONSOLE command
> - Device allocation in progress
> </quote>

I'd expect that.  As a general rule, when IEF238D is outstanding, it holds
various resources.  SYSIEFSD Q4 shared is one of those resources, but there are
several others.  Device Allocation requires a consistent picture of the online
devices, serialized by Q4.  There are a lot of processes that can be held up if
an IEF238D is outstanding.

Over the years, we've tweaked some things to help with Q4 contention, but the
general rules for serializing devices with Q4 I describe here have always been
true.

For most devices, you can VARY them online while IEF238D is outstanding, but
not offline.  (We only need Q4 shared to make a device eligible for allocation,
but to take a device away from allocation, we need Q4 exclusive.)  Offline
devices will go into a pending offline state until Q4 becomes available.

For console devices (I mean those in CONSOLxx, not just 3270's in general) are
special.  Moving them into console state requires Q4 exclusive, because you're
taking the device away from allocation (it's no longer allocatable.)  The
"console state" is separate from online or offline.  Sorry, that serialization
is really necessary.

-Scott Ballentine
 IBM z/OS Device Allocation