On 2015-08-26 12:31, Abe Kornelis wrote:

> I have always interpreted as "qualified by the qname", though I will
> gladly admit this is an inference not directly implied by the text
> itself, and therefore subject to discussion.
> (not intending to start one right now, though).

This seems amply covered in the second introductory paragraph:
"... ENQ identifies the resource by a pair of names, the qname and
the rname, ..." and needn't be restated, less clearly in the
description of the RNAME parameter.

On 2015-08-27 12:37, Walt Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 07:18:33 -0600, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>
>> In:
>> z/OS MVS Programming: Assembler Services Reference ABE-HSP
>> SA23-1369-00
>>
>> under ENQ I read:
>> ,rname addr
>> Specifies the address of the name used together with qname to
>> represent a single resource. The name must be from 1 to 255 bytes
>> long, can be qualified, and can contain any valid hexadecimal character.
>>
>> What's a "qualified" name, as opposed to unqualified? Does this
>> simply mean a conventional data set name containing periods is
>> acceptable? If so, I believe that "can be qualified" adds no
>> meaning to the description.
>
> I've always interpreted it to mean that the name could contain periods. It
> does not simply mean that a dsname is acceptable, as dsnames have additional
> rules that do not apply to rnames.

"any ... character" completely covers that; it allows the name to
contain periods.  It might be suitable to have a sidebar describing
the common use of QNAME and RNAME for data set name ENQs.  But that's
better left elsewhere.

>> I do intend to submit an RCF about the otiose and possibly misleading
>> use of "valid" and "hexadecimal". I believe there's no such thing
>> as an invalid or non-hexadecimal character which must not appear
>> in the rname.
>
> If there is no such thing as an invalid or non-hexadecimal character, then I
> don't see how that statement can be misleading. The universe of possible
> names would be the same in either case. It would only be misleading if it
> removed some valid rname possibilities.

Suppose I say "All feathered birds are vertebrates."  Doesn't that lead
the reader to stop and ponder what birds are not feathered (none, discounting
chicks) and whether any might not be vertebrates?  More concisely, simply
"All birds are vertebrates."  Similarly for "valid" and "hexadecimal",
which neither extend nor restrict the universe, but simply add confusion.

>I agree that an RCF is in order, though I'm unsure how to describe the rname
>contents in a clearer fashion.

Omit the words "valid" and "hexadecimal" and "can be qualified".

> By the way, I think you should have posted that to ibm-main. It's not really
> about using the assembler or assembler language in general, but rather about
> doc for a specific z/OS macro. It's likely that some interested parties are
> not watching this list.

OK.

-- gil