From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Phil
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2015 8:26 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Mainframes open to internet attacks?

Hi All,

I’m actually the person interviewed in this (frankly overblown) article.
Thankfully I had a chance to talk again about this project here:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2015/08/13/remote-corner-internet-art-sprouts/joPVVFqBnctHanbtUBLhzL/story.html

<https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2015/08/13/remote-corner-internet-art-sprouts/joPVVFqBnctHanbtUBLhzL/story.html>

Radoslaw, I’m so glad you were able to attend one of my talks (was it the
Skytalks or BSidesLV?). However, I think you misunderstood the point I was
trying to make. I’ve constantly touted how stupid the information security
industry has been in thinking mainframes were old and obsolete. See this
article about one of my first talks from two years ago:
http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/cutting-through-the-mystique-of-testing-the-mainframe/d/d-id/1140239

<http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/cutting-through-the-mystique-of-testing-the-mainframe/d/d-id/1140239>
 my story hasn’t really changed since. My toolset has, and participation is
slowly increasing, but not fast enough. In fact, my co-speaker and I, at the
most recent DEFCON, were making fun of the audience for not knowing what CICS
was despite how important it likely was to their daily lives.

On the topic on whether they are secure or not, thats up to the implementation.
I know of someone who claims ‘give me an account and I can own your mainframe’.
He doesn’t do it through magical 0-days, he’s using misconfigurations and easy
to access tools (for example, in one instance he found a surrogate profile for
an account with system special open to everyone because it was an ‘emergency
id’). But this is true of any platform. zLinux is just as secure as z/OS, if
both are configured correctly.

Finally, on to the ‘art project’ as I like to call it. Back, long ago, when I
was on x.25 networks looking for things to play with I might encounter a screen
like these. I just find them amazing and beautiful (and a little nostalgic to
be honest). Having them be on the internet doesn’t really matter, if they are
configured correctly. My assumption is that they are on the internet on purpose
and are no different than a staff landing page (for example:
https://fs.aircanada.ca/idp/SSO.saml2 <https://fs.aircanada.ca/idp/SSO.saml2>,
i found this through literally 1 second on google).

If you want to see other interesting ’things' on the internet check out SHODANs
twitter feed for devices like ‘Lake Pumping Stations’ and ‘Skilift in France’:
https://twitter.com/shodanhq <https://twitter.com/shodanhq>

I realize this is likely way off-topic for this discussion list but feel free
to email me if you have questions or concerns (or are interested in how I did
it).

Phil