On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 07:54:32 -0700, Lizette Koehler wrote:
>
> >Could you explain what problem you are trying to solve with this
> technique?
> >
> >How does it help your process to know which concatenated  dataset the
> data came from?  Why can you not use multiple DD Statements instead?
> >
> It might be simpler as the OP wishes.  It's possible that records in some
> input data sets,
> identifiable by data set name, require a variation in processing,  The
> technique
> Massimo wishes for spares him the need to know how many such data sets
> exist
> or in what order they appear.
>
> Suppose I have a daily transaction log for each day in a month.  I'd like
> to concatenate
> them and perform some analysis, but the processing for Sundays is slightly
> different.
> Having 31 DDNAMEs, of which the last (as many as 3) might be dummies may
> seem
> needlessly complex.
>
> It's a reasonable wish for an existing facility; perhaps not meriting an
> RfE.

​That's in interesting, if scary, thought. I was thinking more along the
lines of giving a better error message by printing something like:

RECORD NUMBER 27 IN FILE 3 OF THE INPUT IN MYINPUT IS IN ERROR.
THE ACCOUNT NUMBER BUBBAJOHNSON DOES NOT EXIST.​

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown