On 20 Sep 2015 19:04:35 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>>>We have only to look
>>>at the actions of the IRS in recent years.
>>They went after PACs on both side of the aisle, for the same types of
>>violations.
>
>That's correct, Shmuel, though the abuses were disproportionately on one
>side since that's the side wealthy donors disproportionately favor.
>Moreover, "went after" consisted of sending the organizations inquiry
>letters asking them for further information and justification why they
>should be entitled to the particular tax status they were seeking. Yes,
>that's right, inquiry letters. The letters requested basic information many
>of these political organizations couldn't truthfully provide because they
>simply weren't entitled to the tax status under the law.

The situation isn't that simple.  I look at politics through a systems
programmer eye and want to see as much data as realistic. While I am a
conservative who normally votes Republican, I tend to be skeptical
about the claims on both sides.  I am a United States citizen living
in Canada.

There are two types of non-profit involved here.  The first is 501C3
which are charities that do good and for which individual donations
are tax deductible.  These organizations are not supposed to engage in
politics.  Most churches, synagogues, mosques, etc. as well as
institutions such as the Red Cross and the Metropolitan Museum of Art
fall in this category.  While I believe that churches on both sides of
the political fence probably overstep the line based on public
statements by various church leaders they are not at issue here
because I suspect no administration wants to take on religious groups.
The second is 501C4 which is a social welfare organization that is
allowed to lobby and to various extents take part in political debate
and advocate positions.  These would include organizations such as
MoveOn.org (Michael Moore's group of Bowling for Columbine fame and
other progressive causes), the Sierra Club advocacy arm, the National
Association for the Advancement of Colored People and various
conservative groups.  Incidentally labor unions are tax exempt as
501c5 and chambers of commerce as 501c6.  The scandal (from the
Republican point of view) involves applications for 501c4 status and
intensive investigations.  While I would agree with anyone that
organizations on both sides of the political fence have skirted or
crossed the lines for 501c4, it is interesting to note that one of the
key people in the IRS, Lois Lerner resigned and refused to testify
before a committee of the US House of Representatives on the grounds
of preventing self incrimination (5th Amendment right).  It is also
interesting that I don't think the committee sought to grant immunity.
This issue also caused the head of the Internal Revenue Service to
resign.  As someone who has the SHARE button with a picture of Oliver
North of Iran Contra Scandal fame saying he was a veteran of Profs, I
found it unbelievable that the response to the subpoena for Lois
Lerner's e-mails was that her computer had crashed.  In Ollie's case
when he learned he was being investigated, he deleted all of his
e-mails.  The investigators retrieved them from back-ups.  It is the
events surrounding the issue that make the story more interesting than
the issue itself.

Clark Morris