On 30/09/2015 4:37 PM, Shane Ginnane wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 15:31:13 +0800, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

CentreLink is a 26,000 MIP customer
http://www.techworld.com.au/article/303153/centrelink_ups_it_reform_keeps_model_204_legacy_/?pp=2.
Phew, that's going to be a big blow for big blue when they move off.
Nope.
At that time (2009) Centrelink might (might ?) have been. It is now an
amalgamation of Medibank and sundry others. Bigger and badder by large.
We as a community can not afford to lose this puppy. It was Amdahls trumpeted
catch (along with quaint-arse) and look what happened to them.
If this goes, there is *NO* future for z/OS in Aus - simple as that.

I had no idea they were so huge! An IT budget of $400m six years ago so add another $100m to that by now. I predict a disaster trying to migrate off a system of that scale. Government IT projects always fail and that's a big, big project. The talk is of a requirement for new systems that can handle self-service but why can't they just integrate? The UK government has blown billions of pounds on over ambitious IT projects for the NHS that were doomed from the start. The aussie government should take note! The only winners in government IT projects are vendors.

WA is a bit of a basket case wrt z/OS. When I first rocked up in 1998 the company I work for also had a FM wing which looked after about 15 mainframe customers, mainly government. They're all gone now. WA police, Main Roads, ICWA (who re-platformed from a small BC z9 to a single blade server http://www.itnews.com.au/news/wa-insurance-commission-decommissions-mainframe-322780). The only two z/OS sites left in Perth are Bankwest and HBF. I've been over east several times to conferences in Melbourne/Sydney and conversations with the customers (banks) are depressing. They all have mainframe exit strategies. I was told that ANZ spent in the region of $300M trying to get off and failed miserably. Everybody wants off!

Shane ...