From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: den 7 oktober 2015 00:29
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How the determine dataset is PDSE

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 11:35:41 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>Sure. The OP just asked PDS/PDSE so I focused on that.
>
>Lots of variations. What about dataset accessed as a QSAM file but actually
>PDS/PDSE member? FWIW the distinction goes away for USS -- every file is a
>"member" of a directory.

Sometimes that directory and membership are fictitious, as for /dev/fd/0.

And ISPF is woefully ignorant of the similarity.  For example, if in DDLIST I
select a PDS with V(iew), DSLIST opens a member list with View as the
point-and-shoot selection default.

If in UDLIST I select a UNIX directory with V(iew), I get a failure, "Invalid
file type".  Why doesn't UDLIST do as DSLIST does and show a list of
members in that directory?

As for the sequential allocation of a PDS member you mention, I was dismayed
to learn that OPEN sets DCBDSORG to PO, not PS.

-- gil