On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 20:49:43 +0000, J O Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com>
wrote:

>Two of my colleagues are trying to join IBM-MAIN. Neither one is successful.
>Both have sent notes to LISTSERV trying to following the INFO directive:

>SUBSCRIBE IBM-MAIN <firstname> <lastname>

>What's with the angle brackets? Required? Prohibited? Nothing seems to work.

'angle brackets' are notation. Drop them.

... or was that SUBSCRIBE line in 'Subject' Field or in the 'Body' of your
e-mail attempt? What is the receiver in the 'To' field?

Ed Finnell, Tom Brennan and Ted MacNEIL kindly helped you, but if you'r not
successful, try this alternative.

Alternatively (granted, I used this method, not the e-mail method),

... go to this site: https://listserv.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?INDEX

(This is just to start all the way from the very beginning.)

In that page, you will see a list of all discussion lists hosted by that place.

Select (click on that link) IBM-MAIN (grown to 7002 members! wow!) and then on
change settings)".

Then follow the instructions there. (and if you want to receive e-mails, there
is a field where you can enable it.)

PS: you'll may have to accept cookies, otherwise you will have to enter e-mail
address and password if you want to use the website.

HTH!

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht