From: Peter Hunkeler
Sent: Friday, October 9, 2015 07:35
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: CICS suffering from Page-In delay: Page Stealing versus Paging Out

A word in advance: I have subscribed to the MXG-L list but have not yet granted
access, so I'm asking here first.

I'm busy working on a problem some of CICS region are suffering from
periodically. There are times when some CICS regions are paging-in some MB of
storage and are thus suffering from the paging delay.

Since this is about page-in, the storage that is paged-out has been in use
before. It is not too clear yet what this storage is and what is causing it to
be referenced again in that massive way. That's being investigated and is not
directly my question here, although any hint is welcome as well.

I'm trying to understand why that amount of storage has been paged-out from
those CICS regions, and when this has happened. looking at the SMF30 subtype 2
for the CICS regions a indeed can see intervals with large number of pages
being paged-out (SMF30PGO). I do not see any non-zero values indicating pages
had been stolen (SMF30PST).

It has been my understanding (which may be wrong, of course) that page
steaqling happens when the Available Frame Queue goes below the min threshold.
SRM/RSM will them steal pages and page them out. I would expect those numbers
to appear in SMF30PST. And if this number is 0 for an address space, this one
was not a donor in a low AFQ situation, right?

We do see the AFQ going low sometimes, and it was my assumption that those
CICSs were victims by having pages stolen. This does not seem to be the case.
What then causes the pages to be paged-out (SMF30PGO)? Is CICS doing PGOUT by
itself?

--
Peter Hunkeler

--