Juergen Kehr wrote:
As you probably know Bookmanager BUILD isn't supported and delivered with z/OS
V2.2 anymore.

We've had the idea to transfer the "old" Bookmanager BUILD FMIDs via BUILDMCS
into a seperate CSI in the V2.2 environment. Now our question is: Will this work? Of
course it's not offically supported, but their are many unsupported old z/OS or even MVS
or OS/VS product, which run perfect although in very new environments.

Does anybody have any experiences with this approach? Thanks in advance.
<snip>

We generally do not break things on purpose when they are no longer supported or offered. For example, I think BTAM/SP worked for at *least* a decade after we withdrew it, and maybe even two. However, we also do not test with them, and if we happen to make a change that breaks them, we will not even know we did it--as happened, eventually, to BTAM.

That said, my guess is that Bookmanager Build does nothing special and will likely continue to work. The usual caveats around BUILDMCS apply, though. ACCEPT all service first, look in the zone where it's installed to see whether it has any cross-FMID considerations that would preclude installation in a separate zone and libraries (e.g., shared load modules), and so on. If it does have an intra-zone dependency, it might even be something reasonably easy to manage (such as an interaction with Bookmanager Read, which you could BUILDMCS out and install alongside it).

BUILDMCS is remarkably fast, and APPLYing something relatively small without any PTFs is pretty quick too. I'd be inclined to do some quick checking, try it, and see whether it works.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing