On 11/6/2015 2:03 PM, michelbutz wrote:
> Thanks I understand that in the beginning SRB were quick and dirty however
> now they have become more robust
> If you can maybe guide me to the control blocks associated with them the same
> way TCB is associated with a task
>
> I am thinking of WEQ WUQ and SSRB

Short answers [thanks for the kind shout-out Dave] from a lurker...

- I'm "pretty sure" the WUQ and its member blocks (WEBs) are OCO.
  There might be a strict subset documented in the pubs.

- Preemptible SRBs (the class with 3 types that GA'd in 1995) all were
of the "can do long-running work" variety... "preemptible" meaning that
the dispatcher can pre-empt them in favor of work with higher
dispatching priority.  The stern "quick and dirty only" warnings around
local and global SRBs were largely because they were non-preemptible...
once the dispatcher gave it a CPU, it had the CPU until it relinquished
control voluntarily, no preemption allowed.  If you want more background
on preemption Michel, look for CMG/SHARE papers from Bernie Pierce.  DB2
V5 (the initial exploiter of client SRBs) used them specifically to run
queries intensive enough that the optimizer chose to parallelize them
(package + plan permitting, of course).

- SRBs (preemptible or not) pre-date ZIIPs by years.  I believe from
ZIIPs day 1 they could run any preemptible work unit (SRB or task).

John Arwe
z/VM OpenStack enablement