From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:45 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Fastest way to read OLDEST GDG entry

Some example REXX which might be of some help:

/* REXX */
X=OUTTRAP("OUT.","*");
"LISTC ENT('gdg.base.name') ALL"
X=OUTTRAP("OFF")
DSN='?'
DO I=1 TO OUT.0
   IF 'NONVSAM-' <> LEFT(STRIP(OUT.I,'L'),8) THEN ITERATE
   DSN=WORD(TRANSLATE(OUT.I,' ','-'),2)
   LEAVE
END
IF DSN='?' THEN EXIT(12) /* NO DSN FOUND */ "RECEIVE INDATASET('"DSN"')"

​I recall that doing a RECEIVE in REXX is "iffy". Perhaps another person
remembers how to do this?​

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is
attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown