It is all about managing perception, and people's perception is that online
is riskier.

Charles
-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of J O Skip Robinson
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2015 8:49 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: (External):Re: Were you at SHARE in Seattle? Watch your credit
card statements!

None of my cards has been chipified, surprising considering the size of the
issuing institutions. I shopped yesterday at an upscale supermarket using my
magstripe card. The clerk pointed out that the card machine included a chip
reader but allowed that it had not yet been activated, so I would have had
to swipe a chip card anyway.

Bank of America offers an online service called ShopSafe, which will
generate a fictitious number with user-specified expiration date and--most
important--transaction limit. I almost always use this for online
transactions, but it offers no solace for in-person use. Sort of reverses
the popular view of relative security.