The name it got, BMC_DHCP may provide a hint. Do you have a BMC product such as
BMC MainView SecureHMC running somewhere, perhaps being tested ?

Jonathan Eshel

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Tony Thigpen [mailto:t...@vse2pdf.com]
Envoyé : samedi 21 novembre 2015 06:00
Objet : Strange HMC issue

Background: HMC software version 2.11.1 connected to a z10.

The HMC is connected to two networks. The first is a small private network with
just the laptops in the z10 and the HMC. No other HMCs or other CPUs. The
second network is a local network with several items on it, including other
HMCs. This network is behind a VPN firewall and is used to access the web
services on the HMC.

Both interfaces have hard-coded IP addresses.

Today we noticed something strange. We had a DHCP address assigned to a box we
did not know about. Except for 3 workstations on the network, all other boxes
have hard-coded IP addresses. In the DHCP assigned addresses table, the box had
provided a name of BMC_DHCP.

After a bunch of testing, we isolated the assigned address to the HMC, but the
address does not show up in any of the HMC panels that show IP addresses.

Items:
1) When we ping the HMC using the hard-coded address, the response is under
3.0ms.
2) When we ping the DHCP assigned address, the response is 10x longer, in the
30.0ms range.
3) The arp tables on another PC show both addresses having the same nic address.
4) The HMC can ping it's own hard-coded address, but it can not ping the DHCP
assigned address.
5) We have other CPUs and other HMCs. None of the others are doing the same
thing. (z900 though z10).
6) This HMC has the latest software version of all the HMCs.
7) nMap (port mapping tool) says that there are no ports open at this DHCP
assigned address.

Thoughts on what is happening?
Anybody else seeing the same thing?

--