On 25 November 2015 at 11:57, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:
> Is there a fairly straightforward way to determine the "architecture number"
> of the hardware on which a program is actually running? By architecture
> level I mean z13 = ARCH(11) and so forth, as supported by C/C++ and I think
> now COBOL. By straightforward I mean I do not want to test various feature
> bits in the CVT and try to infer the architecture level or try various
> instructions and catch the S0C1s.

Well someone's got to ask: why do you want this number, rather than
just testing the relevant feature bit before you try to use some
instruction or feature? The only thing that comes to my mind is that
you may want to dynamically invoke the C (or COBOL) compiler, passing
it the ARCH(nn), but I think the default is the level of the current
system in any case.

Tony H.