On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 13:20:01 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> on 11/28/2015 at 08:21 PM, Paul Gilmartin
>
>>A supremely stupid default except, perhaps, in that it supports unit
>>record devices.
>
>A DCB OPEN exit would have supported UR eqipment and not have been so
>rigid.

Indeed so, but that would have required making that exit device type savvy,
tantamount to imbedding SDB in COBOL, which would have been the wrong
place.  Wherever SDB finally landed is a better place.

Yet, it's regrettable that not even a rudimentary SDB was supplied in OS/360
ab ovo.  I suppose resource constraints forbade.

-- gil