On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM, J O Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com
> wrote:

> I'm grateful to this thread for the news that MVCIN lives on. When it
> disappeared on the 3090--talk about unexpected S0C1--I did a brief RIP and
> never looked for it again. MVCIN allowed you to reverse a string and use
> TRT to find stuff that would otherwise have required a backwards loop
> search. Very handy.

​You might want to look at the TRTR and TRTRE instructions in the -10 POPS.
<quote instruction="TRTRE">
The argument characters of the first operand are
used to select function codes from a function-code
table designated by general register 1. For TRANS-
LATE AND TEST EXTENDED, the argument charac-
ters are processed in a left-to-right direction; for
TRANSLATE AND TEST REVERSE EXTENDED,
the argument characters are processed in a right-to-
left direction. When a nonzero function code is
selected, it is inserted in general register R2, the
related argument address is placed in general regis-
ter R1 , and the first-operand length in general register
R1 + 1 is decremented by the number of bytes pro-
cessed. The operation proceeds until a nonzero func-
tion code is encountered, the end of the first operand
is reached, or a CPU-determined number of charac-
ters have been processed, whichever occurs first.
The result is indicated in the condition code.

</quote>​

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown