R.S. wrote:
<snip>
Q: What is the performance gain from having Catalog in RLS?

Well, that's a performance question, so the answer is "It depends."

In my opinion, any catalog contention you have for update activity is likely to evaporate when it's accessed with RLS. The catalog-level lock (SYSIGGV2) is obtained for any catalog update without RLS. That lock prevents any access from anything else, both on the same systems and on others. If you recognize "SYSIGGV2" for catalogs, you probably want to take a look at RLS...

I would expect that most people have split up their usercats over time to achieve an acceptable level of contention. I would further expect that most could avoid having to split a catalog for that reason ever again in a Parallel Sysplex. DFSMS Development also implemented CA-level locking for RLS mode updates that used to still obtain an index-wide lock in z/OS V2.2.

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie