From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 11:41 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: TAR Files:" Extracting" on a IBM Mainframe

On 17 December 2015 at 13:39, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
<shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:
> No TCP/IP? Or is the old Pascal version still supported?

No.

> Is there a pax or tar equivalent that doesn't require dubbing? I'm not
> aware of one.

It's not impossible that tar might run without being dubbed. One might be able
to copy the tar executable from the UNIX file into a PDSE member and run it
from JCL, or more likely by invoking it from a program with suitably UNIXy
arguments. But I wouldn't want to bet on it not using some UNIX service.