On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@att.net> wrote:
> I made a lame assumption based on 20 years of parallel sysplex. Our
> sysplexes have always consisted of boxes a few meters apart. I have (rather
> unkindly) scoffed at suggestions that we build a single sysplex between our
> data centers 100+ KM apart. It's not as much about speed as about the
> fallibility of network connections. The DWDM links that transport XRC
> connections are wicked fast, but they hiccup occasionally for usually
> unfathomable reasons. We can handle XRC suspend/resume, but having a sysplex
> go hard down in such circumstances is not acceptable. Maybe I'm behind the
> times, but that 'conversation with the boss' I alluded to in a previous post
> looms large in my imagination.
>
> .
> .
> .
> J.O.Skip Robinson
> Southern California Edison Company
> Electric Dragon Team Paddler
> SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
> 323-715-0595 Mobile
> jo.skip.robin...@att.net
> jo.skip.robin...@gmail.com

One wrong swipe from a backhoe could have a cross - campus / city /
state / country / continent sysplex down for a day or two.  A phone
company building fire could be a month or more.

(1988 Hinsdale, IL fire).
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-03-11/news/8903250918_1_state-fire-marshal-alarm-electrical-power

--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA