From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 11:04 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Sort for not there?

(hyperspaced from ASSEMBLER-LIST)

On 2016-01-06, at 11:45, John McKown wrote:

>>   //DD1  DD  *,DLM=AA
>
> ​True. I've used $$ quite a bit myself. But in the _general_ case, how
> can you guarantee that whatever characters you select will _not_ occur
> as the first two characters in the "sample" data?​

Well, the Pigeonhole Principle guarantees that if the data don't exceed
65,535 lines a suitable value must exist.  But how to find it?

I might take this to IBM-MAIN; someone is apt to jump in with a DFSORT/ICETOOL
solution.

Hmmm.  Count occurences of each initial digraph and select any zero value.
But are zeroes counted?

Why isn't DLM allowed to be longer?  If it were a few dozen characters, there's
be a guaranteed value for any plausible size data set.

I suppose one could concatenate SYSINs with a different DLM for each, until the
concatenation limit was encountered.

I hate JCL!  It ain't 1965 no more; we shouldn't be burdened with resource
constraints designed for 1965.