On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 20:58:42 -0500, Tony Harminc wrote:

>> When all else fails, try an experiment.  (Maybe then read the instructions.)
>> I just tried HLASMC PARM=GOFF.  Every record in SYSLIN begins with X'03'.
>> So, on the basis of this unscientific sample, no problem.
>
>Dang! And it even says so in the Binder Advanced Facilities
>description of GOFF. I had thought that the logical records
>could/would be splashed across the available LRECL without regard to
>physical boundaries. So what does it look like when written to a UNIX
>file?

Ironically, it must be F[B] 80.  HLASM doesn't enforce this.

Other than in UNIX files, GOFF may be RECFM=VB,  I suspect
SMP/E won't accept this, even if GIMDTS encoded.  Not even
worth an experiment.  We still suffer the tyranny of the
80-column card image.

Which reminds me, over 3 years ago (z/OS 1.13) I encountered an
undocumented restriction that Binder requires that if SYSLIN is
a UNIX file it must be FILEDATA=BINARY even if the file contains
only commands, no binary objects.  I submitted an RCF which was
accepted as a clarification.  No change appears in the 2.1 Reference.
I resubmitted my RCF yesterday.

-- gil