I have been sharing the traditional RESVOL since at least z/OS 1.7

> >   My SMP/E points to an entirely separate target Mod 27 and set of OMVS
> files. These are cloned after maintenance to alternating IPL and maintenance
> level OMVS files.
>
> What is your catalog setup? Do you have separate master catalogs and their
> own set of user catalogs? Or are you sharing your catalogs?

Mostly LPAR specific catalog systems. My two sandboxes share several USERCATS.
OMVS HLQ is in the unshared Master(s)  Which could complicate things :)

> I believe it is safe to share a Read Only OMVS dataset, unless you have
> something to prevent sharing of such OMVS datasets, for example having a
> folder which is written to.

I am figuring on mounting them R/O.

> Of course, moving from z/OS v1.13 to 2.1 requires two different IPL volsers
> during rolling upgrades.

All independent monoplexes, but yes new IPL volumes for the new 2.1 system. No
real co-existence, just need to insure viable fallback. Never been able to
justify the CPU resources for even basic Sysplex. And never really had the
need. We have multiple Lpars to isolate production from development from
sandbox work.

Part of my concern is that I only have 16 M27 defined. (user to make do with 12
M9 before our last DASD upgrade). I'm running short until I complete the
migrations