On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 01:29:48 -0500, Ed Finnell wrote:

>VHS or Beta Max. 9trks for 3420's.

I thought VHS and Beta were both helical scan, not 8-track.

>In a message dated 1/15/2016 12:20:59 A.M. Central Standard Time,... writes:
>
>Weren't  those mostly used in automobiles?  I remember when a colleague
>first  saw a 3480 cartridge he asked, "Is that an  8-track?"

It's plausible that the restriction of ASCII<->EBCDIC conversion to tape
arises because the conversion is done in the control unit.  Is that the case?
Otherwise, yes, the restriction is inexcusable.  It's also inexcusable that
no error is reported when conversion is requested on a device on which
it's not permitted.  Sx13 would be a more appropriate outcome.

-- gil