> As designed, an ESTAE routine can recover from a (for example) 0C4
> abend.  The abend can happen, but the  ESTAE can be coded so no one
> is the wiser than an abend has happened.
>
> However, if there is a SLIP set for (for example) C=0C4, it seems
> the SLIP and its action parms will take precedence over the ESTAE.
> So the nicely coded ESTAE which masks any abends is ignored, and the
> actual cause of the abend is exposed.
>
> I guess under certain circumstances this can be a good thing, but is
> there a way to have an ESTAE or some other recovery routine be
> immune to any SLIP processing?

  SLIP is called from RTM1 before any FRR exits, and from RTM2 before
any STAE/STAI/ESTAEX/ESTAE/ESTIA/ARR exits.  And that is a good thing.
I don't want any recovery routines to be immune from SLIP processing.

  ESPIE exits are called before RTM (and thus before SLIP).  And that
is one of the reasons why I despise ESPIE and recommend against
using it.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY