To follow up on Jim's comment... there are actually a couple of changes in
z/OS 2.2 that makes this behave differently than older releases.
First, you can delete a subsystem using the SETSSI DELETE command as
Jim noted.
Second, in this case, on z/OS 2.2 you wouldn't even need to do that, you could
just issue SETSSI ADD.

Unfortunately, the subsystem named SSI actually got created, but the
initialization
routine didn't run (because of the APF authorization problem.)  So the subsystem
is there, but it's inactive, and there's no way to delete it.  You could
probably
write a program that initializes the subsystem (something you could run via a
START command that more-or-less duplicates the processing in the initialization
routine.)  You could also create a new subsystem with a different name.  Or
IPL.  (I probably can't comment on zapping control blocks.)

In z/OS 2.2, if we can't load the initialization routine (either because we
can't find
it, or it's not APF-authorized) we don't create the subsystem.  Since that
subsystem
named SSI won't exist, you would be able to add it using the SETSSI command.
If there's a different problem that prevents the subsystem from activating
(maybe
the initialization routine ABENDs, as an example) then you could use the SETSSI
command to delete it and then issue a SETSSI ADD to create it.

-Scott Ballentine (sbal...@us.ibm.com), IBM z/OS Allocation