I had the same question. Like maybe the JCL containing the ancient compiler
name was pulled from the same archive as the source. But others have pointed
out that hex literals were not allowed in the OS/VS compiler, so this
particular combination of source and JCL could never have worked.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson