<snip>
Meanwhile there did emerge a 'JES3', but it was not an evolutionary descendant
of JES2. Both products have coexisted, albeit uneasily, for decades. We used to
imagine a JES5 or JES6 (depending on one's arithmetic proclivity) that would
somehow combine the best features of both products, but it's almost certainly
DOA. ....
</snip>

Actually this seems to be happening. Witness the recent merging of JES3 and
JES2 capabilities.  8 char job classes in JES2, JES2/JES3 using common SAPI.
SDSF (formerly JES only) obtaining JES3 capabilities.
Dependent Job Control language in JES2 (2.2).

And I am sure there are others.  It looks like IBM is attempting to create "THE
JES" from the capabilities of JES2 and JES3.

Just my $0.02 USD worth...

This email – including attachments – may contain confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient, do not copy, distribute or act on it.
Instead, notify the sender immediately and delete the message.