You're right I think, and that would be another good analogy. I'm pretty sure stdin and stdout are opened prior to calling the specified program, very much like JCL allocation is done before PGM= gets control.

These are the similarities I'm looking for that might help someone move from unix/windows to the mainframe environment without getting completely frustrated.

Ed Gould wrote:

To be fair to zOS There are "probably" the same files needed for UNIX its just they are "assumed".