> Apologies for the blundered format of my earlier post. Here is a
re-send.
> Page 459 of the publication http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/
> pdfs/sg247946.pdf on paragraph "21.1.2 Local system area" says:
> === Quote ===
> Note: A keyword has been added to the IARV64 REQUEST=GETSTOR,
> LOCALSYSAREA=NO|YES, to indicate that the memory object is to be
> allocated from the system area of the 64-bit address space map.
>
> LOCALSYSAREA memory objects are allocated in the system area that starts
at
> X?8_00000000? - 32 GB and ends at X?28_00000000? - 288 GB.
> Only authorized users may use this keyword.
> === End of quote ===
>
> ...however, 288G is x'48_00000000', not x'28_00000000?, or am I
> missing something?

  48_00000000 is where I see memory objects in dumps, so
that sounds like a mistake in the redbook.

> Another question: Are these boundary lines of the LocalSystemArea
> sort of "fixed by architecture", or need they (at least the high
> end) be looked up in some control block?

  We use the term "fixed by architecture" to refer to things that
are fixed by hardware architecture.  LOCALSYSAREA is just a
z/OS construct, and its size/boundaries are set by z/OS.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY