The BUFNO= is only needed if you did _not_ increase the block size of your TMC
(available in latest releases, along with other improvements to the TMC
including uptime improvements like allowing online extension of a TMC in use by
multiple systems.. Thanks, CA! - I'm retired and only 'consulting' now but
those were great changes when I used them).

Also - to the original poster - be sure to check the ACCODE/RETPD in the JCL,
and whether or not you have an RPGDG parameter coded in  TMOOPTxx.   It sounds
like you're not expiring the datasets in CA-1 when they roll off the GDG.